The Influential Agile Leader: Make the Agile Promise Happen
Does Your Agile Transformation Need a Boost?
Your organization wants to be more agile for better outcomes, but the transformation is progressing slowly, haphazardly, or not at all.
Whether you are a transformation coach, agile practice lead, leader of a successful agile team/program, or passionate agilist — you’re part of making the agile transformation a success.
We can help you help your organization. Spend two days in our Influential Agile Leader workshop, and you will:
- Discover fresh ways to see your organization’s problems as they relate to agile.
- Learn what’s needed to address those problems.
- Grow your abilities to influence others in your organization to get the transformation on track.
Join us at the Influential Agile Leader Workshop, June 7-8, 2018 in the Boston area. Each day runs from 9am-5pm. We’ll send you detailed logistics after you register.
What You’ll Learn
Here is our high-level agenda. For full session descriptions, click here
You’ll spend two-thirds of the time in full-group sessions, working in small groups or individually. You will learn — by doing — how to:
- see the big picture of your agile journey
- produce an organizational map that reveals allies, key people to influence, and relationships that affect the journey
- make transformation real by aligning tactics and mindset
- influence other people in a congruent way
This workshop draws many like-minded people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Expect to learn and to share, to coach and be coached.
Your Choice of Specialized Sessions on Day 1
After the all-group sessions, we break into parallel specialized sessions, roughly an hour each. Choose one:
- Seeing and managing your real-world constraints (Johanna)
- Making agile teamwork possible (Gil)
After a short break, you have your choice of these two sessions, roughly an hour each:
- Being agile by ruthlessly selecting work to do and not do (Johanna)
- Managing the frustration of leading change (Gil)
If you want to switch session mid-way, that’s fine.
Your Choice of Specialized Sessions for Day 2
After lunch, we break into two parallel specialized sessions, roughly an hour each:
- Maximize your value while staying sane (Johanna)
- How to talk about change, what to change so others talk (Gil)
After a short break, you have your choice of these two sessions:
- How to think about “Big Agile” (scaling might not be the solution!) (Johanna)
- Achieving your vision of yourself (Gil)
As on day 1, you can freely move between sessions.
Testimonials from Previous Participants
“The Influential Agile Leader is like no seminar that I have attended. It’s a collection of discussions and exercises that can help you become a more effective leader (Agile or otherwise). There are no slide decks or sleep-inducing lectures — it’s hands-on and interactive. I found it challenged me, and allowed me to explore some Agile issues concretely.”Tom Golden
Do you already had deep knowledge and experience with Agile project delivery and organizational change? So did Russell Murray when he came to our May 2014 session in Edinburgh, Scotland, Here is why he loved it:
“The Influential Agile Leader workshop helped me develop strategies to be more convincing in and out of the workplace. It opens the door to a series of secrets that help you deal with/drive change. A must!”Meriem Debbabi
“Having a primarily technical background, Gil and Johanna’s training course was great for strengthening my leadership and self-reflection skills. It’s been over two months since I attended, and I still find myself using my newly acquired techniques and concepts, and probably for many years to come. Things I’ve passed along to my colleagues were well adopted and understood, and I often even see people coaching each other. I would highly recommend this course not only for people new to Agile but also for people looking to reinforce their agile skills.”John Cartwright
Can you afford to take the time for this workshop? Can/should colleagues join you? Michael Stricklen and Steve Brudz, senior consultants at Cyrus Innovation, answer both questions:
If your organization is large, or you want to bring agile to non-software parts of it, you might have the same experience as Gez Smith, who attended our London event in 2015:
What you’re seeing here is the result of 100% collaboration. We have pair-developed and pair-taught this workshop since 2013, and we’re convinced that the result is much better than if we’d developed it individually. (Between us, we have more than 30 years of designing and leading experiential workshops.) Yet, we’re not clones; ask us questions during the workshop, and you’re likely to receive two somewhat different perspectives.
You get depth: We’ve both been technical contributors as developers and testers. We’ve both been managers at various levels. We’ve both introduced and facilitated change from the technical and management perspectives. We’re both students and teachers of human systems and organizational behavior.
Gil can help you increase organizational agility and team performance with minimal risk and thrashing. Dozens of companies seeking transformations, makeovers, or improvements have relied on his pragmatic, modern, and respectful support for customizing Agile in their contexts. These days, several of the world’s largest organizations are having him train hundreds of their managers in technology and business (up to VP level) on practical Agile leadership. He is the author of two acclaimed books, The Human Side of Agile and The Agile Mind-Set.
Johanna is known as the “Pragmatic Manager” because of her practical approach to projects and management. Johanna consults and coaches leaders from startups to Fortune 500 companies. She works with you, to start from where you are now, continuing to build on your business needs and desired results.
She’s written 14 books, hundreds of articles and too-many-to-count blog posts. Her most recent agile books are Create Your Successful Agile Project, Manage Your Project Portfolio,2nd ed, and Agile and Lean Program Management.
Register for the June 7-8, 2018 Boston-area session
For greater traction with your agile transformation, we recommend you bring a like-minded colleague. We regularly have attendees come in groups of two, three, or four, and they do experience a compounding effect. A few notes about that:
- We limit each organization to four attendees. If you want more people, contact us.
- When you register more than two people from your organization, we provide a 20% discount for the third and fourth people.
- Choose the applicable button below. If necessary, Johanna will send you an email and ask who the people are.
How to pay:
- Use one of the buttons below to pay with a credit card. This site is secure and we use Stripe as a secure payment processor.
- If you prefer to pay with an invoice instead of a credit card, use the contact form at the bottom of the page to ask us for one.
Early Bird Registration is $1350 per person. The third and fourth tickets are $1080 each.
If you register later:
- “Just in time” — May 1 or later — the ticket price will be $1600 per person. No coaching bonus.
We understand that things happen. You can always send a substitute. If you need to cancel, we will return 80% of your fee until 4 weeks prior to the workshop start. If you cancel after that, your fee is not refundable.